1.25.2010

is this all we get to be absolute? (the fray)

It's amazing how songs and artists and albums can speak into your life during different seasons. They are more than just soundtracks to our lives, the notes and the words speak Truth into the situations we are dealing with, often enlightening us and showing us hidden and deeper meanings to the life we live.

Often I'll buy an album and give it a cursory "listen-to," only to set it aside for weeks, months, or even years. Then I stumble across it randomly and it goes from being forgotten to being integral to my thoughts, my car rides, and my heart. Some albums that have done this for me the past few years are Good Monsters, The Fray, A Hundred Million Suns, Begin to Hope, Plans.

I'm sure there are more. These have been some of the most impacting, though. And I learn. They help me progress, or reflect, or just enjoy. Begin to Hope reminded me that life is bittersweet, but it always ends on a sweet note. Nothing that happens is irrevocable, and we can always begin to hope. And life is rich, as indicated by Regina's strong, beautiful vocals. The Fray was on repeat for me last summer. When I listen to it I am taken back to laying out by the pool, driving around College Station in the sunshine, walking to class everyday, and training. Their honest lyrics spoke to me as I learned to trust that love is real, and that it's something I'll experience someday, despite the pain and heartache that I've experienced and may experience again.

Today I discovered an album that I had not given much thought to. It's Jars of Clay, "The Long Fall Back to Earth." I have re-discovered today, just how much God loves me. It's so much. I pray that whatever it takes, every single one of my friends and family know this. Sometimes it takes a fall to realize, and sometimes it takes silence - not knowing what God is doing or how His plan will carry out.

Just know this, and let it sink in - there's nothing you can do to make Him love you more, and nothing you can do to make Him love you less. One of the songs on the album, "Boys (Lesson One)" says,

There will be liars and thieves who take from you
Not to undermine the consequence
But you are not what you do
And when you need it most
I have a hundred reasons why I love you


God speaks to me through music; let Him speak to you however He must. But listen. And learn. And grow. And heal.

And if you want to spend a day in my shoes, listen to these albums...I know them by heart.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I was just about to scan through itunes for some new music since I'm done with all the Christmas music on the ipod. I'll have to look into your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete