10.14.2009

humility.

"Life is a long lesson in humility." (James M. Barrie: Scottish dramatist and novelist)

This is so true, or it should be. There's nothing quite like realizing that you're wrong about something, or you've wronged someone. It's hard to hear when you're wrong. I love it when God shows us how small we are, though. I love it about as much as I love being sore after a long run, or having to scrub the toilets, or maybe changing a diaper. (Please note the sarcasm in my tone.)

I don't really love these things, but I love the results: toned legs, clean potties, happy babies. The result of being humbled is seeing the Lord exalted. Wow. Great result. Probably worth feeling small.

I believe what we often forget is that every day of our life, every minute even, should be a lesson in humility. Frankly, we are wrong quite a bit, because we make our lives about ourselves. We think about ourselves; we go about our business; we talk about our problems and joys. It's just not about us.

Micah 6:8 says, "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Walk humbly with your God. Don't just take one "humble step," and don't get to the point where God makes you take a "humble fall," walk humbly, continuously. That's why the quote at the beginning strikes such a chord with me. My life should be a long lesson in humility. If I'm not being reminded by others, I should remind myself daily and by the minute that I am not more important than the Lord, His plans, and His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment